1. Toor Dhal - 75gm or 1/2 cup
2. Onion - 1 medium chopped
3. Tomato - 1 small chopped
4. Capsicum / Bell pepper - 1/2 cup chopped
5. Green chilly - 2 slit
6. Garlic - 1 clove chopped
7. Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
8. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
9. Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
10. Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
11. Salt - as needed
12. Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
13. Urad dhal - 1/2 tsp
14. Curry leaves - 6 to 7 leaves
15. Broken red chilly - 4 pieces
16. Hing - a pinch
17. Oil - 2 tsp
1. Wash the toor dhal twice with water and drain the water.
2. In a small pressure cooker, add ingredients 1 to 10. Reserve a tbsp of onions for tempering. Pour 200ml to 250 ml water (1 cup).
3. Pressure cook the dhal mixture for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Heat oil in a small pan. Add the ingredients listed under "For tempering" one by one in order. Also add the reserved onions. After frying them, add it to the cooked dhal mixture. You can mash the dhal mixture with a laddle if needed.
5. Add salt to the dhal and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes in medium flame and serve. Make sure it doesn't get burnt on the bottom.
This is a quick recipe which can be done in less than 30 minutes. Adding capsicum gives a very good flavour and taste to the dhal. You can have this with roti or rice. Adding few drops of ghee to the rice enhances the flavour :)